Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Yarny Year in Review

Like many people, I'm spending part of today scribbling down a New Year's Resolution list.  I also like to take time to look back over the past year and evaluate it.  One of my questions is always:  Now what did I knit this year?  I don't feel like I spent as much time knitting in 2013, but I did get some things done.

I always love to knit for others.  Various friends this year received:

Baby booties.


Socks.


Baby cardigans.


Hats.


(But oh, what a lot of strings to weave in!)


Funny squirrel gloves.


I ran out of yarn on these FOUR LINES FROM THE TOP and had to order more.  I almost didn't make the Christmas cut-off.


(Squirrels!!)


I made this hot water bottle cover for my brother-in-law...


And this hat for my stepfather-in-law:


The cables stretch out nicely when the hat is worn, and it's long enough to be pulled down low, or the brim can be turned up.


My nephew got these goldfish mittens.  I love the tails!


He also got this sweater...


...with an owl yoke.


For myself, I made a hat...


...and gloves.


I knitted this pillow for our living room.


For every success, there were many failures.  Poor Todd, nearest and dearest to my heart, got nothing.  I knitted these superhero gloves for him, twice:


The first pair (knit in fingering weight yarn with size 2 needles) was so small that they barely fit me.  I ordered sport weight yarn and used size 4 needles to knit another pair, which was too big.  I think this project may have defeated me.  And just yesterday, I picked up Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns and decided to make a pillow with this stitch pattern:


I knitted lines 1 - 9 over and over, not realizing that the pattern continued, lines 10 - 20, on the next page.  Therefore, instead of the lattice-like pattern on the page, I got zig zags:


Well, I'm going to keep going with it as it is.  I also broke my resolution...


...not to buy more yarn. 

I hope you had a good year, yarny or otherwise.  Happy 2014!

1 comment: