Tuesday, December 16, 2014

It will taste awful...a mailable waffle!

There's nothing like starting the day out with a delicious waffle breakfast, right?


Well, that's not what I did today.  This is not an edible waffle.  Do you remember the mailable foam-and-caulk cake slice I made last year?


This is a waffle version!  I bought some air-dry clay...


...and pressed it into my waffle iron.


Two point two pounds of clay yielded three 'waffles' and some leftovers.


I bought a small package of yellow clay and shaped butter pats.  I spray painted these waffles with yellow and brown spray paint and affixed the butter pats with hot glue.


I mixed glue and brown food coloring for the syrup.


It gives the 'syrup' a nice realistic quality.


A circle of cardboard is spray-glued to the back and written on like a postcard.  Let me tell you, there were puns aplenty!  "Butter" believe..."syrup-titious"...etc., etc.  Unfortunately, I did not take care to make the first mailed waffle tidy on the address part, and it was never delivered.  I'm sure it's nailed up to a post office wall somewhere!  But I was more careful on the second waffle, and it was delivered in just a few days.  There will be more mailable food in my future!  :)

The turkeys, having made it through Thanksgiving none the worse for wear, spend a lot of time hanging outside my office windows.  I love watching them.


I finally got a few 'action shots' of them flying across the pond.  They're really beautiful!
 

Besides working and watching turkeys, I had two holiday parties to bake for this week.  I made a big spread...


Brown sugar bundt cake from the Back in the Day Bakery, Oreos (recipe blogged here), a funfetti cookie cake (recipe blogged here), chocolate chip cookies (too crispy for my taste), snickerdoodle cupcakes (eh, not as good as other recipes I have), and a pumpkin roll.  I used my M1 tip for making both buttercream roses...


...and the frosting 'stars' on the funfetti cake.


I used Brown Eyed Baker's pumpkin roll recipe, but added a handful of cinnamon chips, of course.  The chips made it harder to roll the sheet of pumpkin cake, but it still worked.  The basics of making any kind of jelly or cake roll are the same.

Bake your cake in a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.  Carefully turn the slightly cooled cake onto a clean damp towel that's been generously dusted with powdered sugar.  Roll it up and put it in the refrigerator until it's cool.

Unroll and dollop your frosting on top.


Spread it out...


Roll it up.


Done!


I didn't get to taste it, but Todd said that his co-workers gave it high marks.  I'll probably make another one in January so I can have a slice myself!

After all that baking, the kitchen was absolutely destroyed.


Oh, well!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That waffle looks totally real! I would have never known it was made with clay and glue-impressive!

    ReplyDelete