Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Perpetual Astonishment

"Every spring is the only spring, a perpetual astonishment."  - Ellis Peters

It must be true, because I don't remember a more beautiful season.


The beds, of course, are a terrible mess...leaf-choked, overrun with Helleborus seedlings, drooping ferns that need cut back, the works.  I hope I've got time to get my hands in the dirt this weekend. 

I've loved seeing the little creatures return with the increasingly warm weather.  I saw my first daring jumping spider of the season...my very favorite!  What a beauty!!!


These brown marmorated stink bugs have overwintered in our walls (shudder!) and come out, a few at a time.  You'll notice that they have tiny red simple eyes (ocelli), like cicadas, located behind their large compound eyes.


Their bodies are shield-shaped.


Not to be confused with leaf-footed bugs.  Also shield-shaped...


...but with a distinctive leaf-life growth on the hind legs.


Carpenter ants, too, are busy building a nest by the base of a tree in our front yard.  


I knelt down to watch them industriously removing grains of sand from the entrance until they perceived my presence and stopped.


I let them get back to work after a few minutes, but I'll keep track of their progress.

Hope you're seeing some green wherever you live.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment