Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Going Bananas for Birthdays

The weather has been absolutely beautiful lately, so we decided to go hiking this weekend.  I brought the junky camera instead of my nice one, but at least I captured the mood of the day!


The ferns are in full swing.


So many wildflowers have already bloomed!


I love seeing fungus growing on downed trees.


I did see an eastern tent caterpillar, a real pest.  Hopefully this year they won't be too much of a problem.





Borga was dying to go for a long hike.  We used to do a minimum of 8 miles a week.  Now, we rarely go, since there isn't a good place that's close to us.  But we really enjoyed this hike.




Look at that smile!




She crashed hard on the way home.


It was Todd's birthday, so I made a 3-layer banana cake with toasted coconut cream cheese frosting (recipe here).  I'm not a fan of banana, but this cake was amazing.  Let's just say there was very little left for Todd to take to work on Monday.


I bought him several practical gifts, but I always try to do something handmade if possible.  This year I decided to embroider him an image of our pets.  I found some cartoon images online and traced them.  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!


Meanwhile, around here we've been loving the wildlife.  The anoles are everywhere, including, somehow, inside our house!


A pair of house finches hang out in the gardenia bushes outside my office window.  So pretty.


We've got our hands full with our "other" wildlife, too.


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment